Friday, November 6, 2009

Chewy Granola Bars

Linda makes some fabulous breakfasts. I, on the other hand, can hardly drag myself out of bed in the morning, let alone muster up the effort to make myself something to eat. I roll out of bed with exactly enough time to shower, dress and catch my carpool to work, and most times even that is a challenge.

So almost every day, I grab a granola bar from our office snack drawer to eat along with my morning cup of tea. And every day, around 11am, I am STARVING. That granola bar just doesn't cut it for me, but laziness prevails and I deal with it.

But I started thinking: all these granola bars can't really be that healthy. I checked the label, no high fructose corn syrup (yay!) but do I really want to eat large quantities of a granola bar with "natural flavor" listed as an ingredient? My body says no. So I set out to make my own.


Oats, honey, mini chocolate chips, coconut...mmm. Just one of these chewy granola bars kept me full until it was actually lunchtime! I deem these a total victory!

Chocolate Chip Chewy Granola Bars
Adapted from AllRecipes
  • 4 1/2 c. rolled oats
  • 1 c. flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2/3 c. butter, softened
  • 2/3 c. honey
  • 2 c. miniature semisweet chocolate chips
  • 2/3 c. shredded coconut
  1. Preheat oven to 325 deg F. Lightly grease one 9x13 inch pan.
  2. In a large mixing bowl combine the oats, flour, baking soda, vanilla, butter and honey. Stir in the chocolate chips and the coconut.
  3. Firmly press mixture into the prepared pan. Bake for 18 to 22 minutes or until golden brown. Halfway through baking, press bars down hard in pan. Let cool for 10 minutes then cut into bars. Let bars cool completely in pan before removing or serving.
You're going to make the Quaker Oat man proud!
-Erin

1 comment:

  1. Tried your Breakfast Granola Bars this weekend. They are absolutely delicious! Because a few in our family have an aversion to coconut, I made 1/2 with and 1/2 without. You received rave reviews on both accounts!

    Rhonda (Sally's friend)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...