Monday, November 9, 2009

The Candy Corn Disaster


Well, I guess there's really no hiding it. Sometimes (read: all the time...) we foodbloggers fail. But you don't usually get to see that. We'd like you to believe that if you just ring our doorbells, you'll be greeted with a big smile and a plate of hot cookies (or cupcakes, if you're paying any attention at all). Don't we all wish.

Something else I wish for is to make everything perfectly the first time. This, dear readers, is not one of those times.

I have not yet been able to master making candy. Sure, I can melt some caramel and dip things in chocolate, but that doesn't really count as candy. Heck, I don't even own a candy thermometer! So why I thought it would be a good idea to make my own candy corn is a mystery. I think I was attracted to the glamor of candy making. Baking some bread is one thing, but making candy? This might even be out of my league.


It all seemed to be going fine. I boiled the corn syrup and sugar and butter. I added the dry ingredients to make it into a dough. Let it cool until I could handle it, then tried to color the dough orange, yellow and white (for full effect, of course!). But let me tell you...this dough was not pliable AT. ALL. My friend Tony was over helping me make the candy, and the dough was so hard that as he was kneading it, he got a huge blister!! I'm going to have to make people sign waivers to help me in the kitchen!! So after kneading for a good 20 minutes, and Tony talking me out of completely giving up, we made a few candy corns. Tada!


Kneading the dough should have been a warning sign for eating these suckers. They were so hard that they almost took out our teeth! Blisters, near broken teeth, and zero desire to complete the project: I deemed these a total, epic failure. The rest of the dough went promptly into the trash.


I won't bother reproducing the recipe with my adaptations...because clearly, I failed. But if you are curious and want to try and one-up me (go ahead, I happily dare you) then the recipe can be found here.

Next time (once our hands heal) I might try this recipe. The marshmallow makes it look a bit easier....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...