Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Dark Chocolate Tart

I have been pretty distracted lately. I am jet-setting to London in 2 days, and I haven't started packing AT ALL. I did some laundry, which is a start, and I set out my suitcase, but nothing is inside it yet. You want to know what I've been doing instead? ...do you even have to ask?

I sat at work yesterday afternoon (distracted I tell you) daydreaming about using my new tart pan. I bought it right before I went to Seattle, but I still haven't found an excuse to use it. And I sat there thinking, to heck with having an excuse, I want some tart!

I had never made a tart before. I had no idea how to use a tart pan (a removable bottom? why?). So after peppering Linda with questions (how does the pan work? will my crust break? do I need to grease the pan?)...turns out she'd never used a tart pan before either...I resorted to some online forums to quell my fear. I had nothing to worry about. You just push the tart through the bottom and the tart comes easily out of the pan. I think I could handle that...

I picked a tart with an easy crust for my first go. Boy, am I glad I did! And not just because it was easy, but because this tart is seriously DELICIOUS. Like, immediate chocolate heaven delicious. Like so rich you can only have a tiny piece but you want so much more delicious. Like, I wish these photos were scratch-n-sniff just because it is so unfair that you can't be smelling and tasting this tart right now. So please. Do yourself a favor and make this incredibly simple tart. It took me literally 1 hour from start to finish, and oh my, it was so easy I almost feel like I cheated. Make this. You will NOT regret it.


Dark Chocolate Tart with Gingersnap Crust
from (who else) The Smitten Kitchen

Crust:
8 oz. gingersnap cookies (about 32 cookies), coarsely broken
1/4 c. salted butter, melted

Filling:
12 oz. bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped (I used Godiva 60% chocolate chips)
1 c. heavy whipping cream
2 large egg yolks
1 large egg
1/4 c. sugar
1 tbsp flour
1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
Pinch of salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon

For crust:
  1. Preheat oven to 325 deg F.
  2. Finely grind gingersnap cookies in processor.
  3. Add melted butter and process until moistened.
  4. Press crumb mixture firmly onto bottom and up sides of 9-inch-diameter tart pan with removable bottom.
For filling:
  1. Combine finely chopped bittersweet chocolate and heavy whipping cream in heavy medium saucepan. Whisk over low heat until chocolate is melted and smooth.
  2. Remove saucepan from heat.
  3. Whisk egg yolks, egg, sugar, flour, ground black pepper, salt and cinnamon in medium bowl to blend.
  4. Very gradually whisk chocolate mixture into egg mixture until smooth and blended.
  5. Pour chocolate filling into crust.
  6. Bake chocolate tart until filling puffs slightly at edges and center is softly set, about 30 minutes.
  7. Transfer to rack. Cool tart in pan 20 minutes.
  8. Gently remove tart pan sides and cool tart completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...