Thursday, November 5, 2009

exposed: inner lives of food bloggers


Something is going around lately, and I have it. Erin has it too. We don't even live in the same city. It's a pandemic.

I was supposed to cook last night. Invitations were extended. But it didn't happen. Later, Erin and I were chatting, and it seems we both failed miserably in cooking for ourselves. That's the thing about food, at least for me. It's such a social experience. If I'm cooking for friends, then damn straight I'm going to julienne the carrots and mince the garlic myself. Left alone for an evening, when sick, tired and generally lazy, I can hardly be bothered to unscrew a jar of peanut butter.

Here's a recap of our conversation:

Erin: I just made the worst chicken soup.

Linda: Oh no.

Erin: I put some broth into a pot. I turned on the heat. I saw some white wine, and added that. Then I hunted around for some noodles. All I found were four lasagna noodles, so I broke them up and added it to the pot. Now I'm eating it.

Linda: Oh my. I just heated two packages of oatmeal with an egg.

Erin: Do two failures make a success?

So, it may be that you are also home alone, sick and lazy. If you are, I'm sorry. We can't all eat gourmet all the time, and you don't want to starve. So here are two recipes just for you.

really bad chicken soup

left over chicken broth
white wine
4 lasagna noodles, broken

1. Add broth and wine to pot over medium heat.
2. Add noodles.
3. Eat.

oatmeal with some other stuff

oatmeal
egg
anything else you can scrounge up (nuts, berries, sausage)
milk

1. Add ingredients to pot. Heat.
2. Eat.

2 comments:

  1. There is something profoundly sad about "4 lasagna noodles, broken." Feel better soon, girls!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...