Monday, August 24, 2009

sunny saturday and french toast with caramelized bananas


Nothing beats waking up on a beautiful, sunny Saturday and having a lazy breakfast. And an easy, delicious french toast should be a trick everyone has up there sleeves for just such an occasion. I always like to make some kind of fruit topping to use on breakfasts, whether it's waffles, pancakes or french toast. You can usually do it at the same time the rest of breakfast is cooking, so it's no extra hassle, but it adds a lot to the flavor. And you can pretend it's healthy.

I think the bread you use makes a big difference. I'm partial to this kind, which I can find in any grocery store around Seattle. I'm not sure if it's available elsewhere, but I'm sure the equivalent is. It is fluffy, soft, white, and melts in your mouth.

Simple French Toast

4 eggs
3/4 cup of milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup of sugar
sliced french bread

Mix ingredients (sans bread) in a large bowl. Heat pan over medium heat and add 1/2 tablespoon of butter to coat. Dip each slice of bread into egg mixture and soak for 1 minute. Transfer to pan and cook 2 minutes each side, or until golden brown.

To be honest, I do this kind of on the fly...and how much toast you get will depend on how thoroughly you soak each slice. This mixture got me about 7 slices and fed three and a half people who ate two slices each...

Carmelized Bananas

2 bananas, sliced
1/4 cup of sugar
2 tablespoons of butter

Heat pan over medium heat and add butter and banana slices. Saute 3 minutes, then add sugar. Stir to coat, and continue cooking until brown caramel color sets in, about 7 minutes.

Top french toast with bananas, and serve with syrup, jam or whipped cream. Yum.

1 comment:

  1. I'm 3 for 3 so far on having eaten what you wrote about. And I can vouch for this one too.. french toast was delicious -- bananas were the kicker :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...