A very exciting thing happened this weekend: the digital camera that I purchased was delivered!! I was very excited to photograph a new recipe, but I was house-sitting this weekend, which meant that I didn't have my usual supplies (read: no stand mixer...oh no!). I actually welcomed this change - it was a chance to get back to basics in the kitchen...except with the addition of a new camera!
This recipe is very easy, and I'll bet that you have all of the ingredients on hand at this moment. It doesn't require any ingredient that isn't a pantry staple (which is why it was perfect to whip up in another person's home) and just requires a big bowl and a sturdy spoon for mixing. I really loved stirring the cookies together, then rolling them in sugar before baking. They bake up beautifully and are SO yummy! They have an almost caramel flavor, with a very chewy interior with a crunchy sugary exterior. Their aroma is pretty heavenly, too :) Browning the butter is an extra step, but doesn't take any more effort, and makes these cookies oh so good...! Make them soon and share them with friends (or kitties that you are watching for the weekend)!
adapted from Simply Recipes
Yield: Makes ~4 dozen
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 3/4 cups brown sugar (dark, if you have it)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Kosher salt or sea salt, for sprinkling* (reserve for sprinkling on top...do not mix in with the sugar)
- Preheat oven to 375°F and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, and baking powder and set aside.
- Mix together the sugar dredging mixture in another bowl and set aside.
- Place butter into a thick-bottomed skillet over medium heat. The butter will foam a bit before subsiding.
the butter is on its way!Once the butter takes on a tan color and begins to smell nutty take it off of the heat and pour it into a mixing bowl. (See Elise's tutorial on how to brown butter.)
- Once the brown butter is in a mixing bowl , add the brown sugar and salt and mix.
- Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla extract and mix together.
- Add the flour mixture in three increments, being sure to really scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl, but mix just until the flour is incorporated. The dough will be very thick.
- Take 1/2 to full tablespoon-sized pieces of dough (you can make them however big you like) and gently roll them into ball shapes.
- Dredge them in the sugar dredging mixture until well-coated.
- Place on the baking sheet and sprinkle with a little bit of the sprinkling salt (be reserved with the salt as very little goes a long way).
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the edges have browned a bit. Be careful not to over-bake. (I baked mine for 10 minutes) Allow to cool on the sheet for one minute before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
|yum browned butter bits!|