Monday, January 11, 2010

walnut brownie cookies





This was a bit of an oops. I tried to make these cookies out of Martha Stewart Baking Handbook this weekend for a friend's birthday. I think I've said before that I have a fear of cookies. Cakes are docile, sweet tempered, forgiving things. Cookies appear that way on the surface, but really they are temperamental, finicky and oddly time consuming. This view may not be totally defensible, and Erin has tried to convince me many times that cookies can be easy, it does explain why I'm a bit of a novice at them.



This recipe seemed very simple. And it was, until I got to the final step of adding flour. Then, in all my wisdom, I decided the batter seemed all too thin and SURELY needed more flour. So I added some. And then the whole thing got too dry, and the cookies were not melty and awesome like they COULD have been. They were alright to eat, but I'm determined to make them again soon and get it right. Of course, the walnut in chocolate combination was still divine. Mmmmm.


May you and your level-headed flour measuring fare better, my friends. Enjoy.

Walnut Brownie Cookies
from Martha Stewart Baking Handbook

9 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped into 1/4 inch chunks
3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup sifted all purpose flower
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup chopped walnuts

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a heat proof bowl set over (but not touching) simmering water, melt 5 ounces of semisweet chocolate, the unsweetened chocolate, and the butter. Set aside to cool for five minutes.
3. With an electric mixer, beat chocolate mixture and sugar on medium until well combined, about 3 minutes, scraping down bowl as needed. Add eggs, and mix until combined. Beat in vanilla.
4. Add flour and salt, beat until just incorporated. Stir in chocolate pieces and walnuts.
5. Shape into two teaspoon-ful balls, and place 1.5 inches apart on cookie sheets. Bake, until edges are set but centers are soft, about 9 to 11 minutes. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...