Monday, January 18, 2010

Butterscotch Sauce

I've been holding out on you. A couple of weeks ago (oh my gosh how time flies!) my very good friend Mika came to visit San Francisco. So of course, I invited her over for dinner. Mika reads this blog (hi Mika!! I'm so glad you came to visit!) and I really wanted to cook something fabulous for her, but it was a Monday night after work, and I was exhausted. There was no time for a big, fancy meal, but thankfully, I had a trick up my sleeve: butterscotch sauce.

After our quick dinner, I retreated to the kitchen and a few minutes later reappeared with some ice cream topped with fresh butterscotch. Did you even know that was possible? Butterscotch... In your kitchen...In minutes!!

But why have I been holding out on you? It feels like a trick that this sauce was so easy. This is a food blog, for goodness sake, and you have some expectations. Maybe a little bit of effort on my part? But really...there is no effort with this butterscotch. It takes literally five minutes, and then you have ice cream topped with a seriously delicious sauce. Or even just some butterscotch to eat with a spoon...your choice. I won't tell :)


Ridiculously Easy Butterscotch Sauce
from SmittenKitchen

Yield: About 2/3 to 3/4 cup sauce
  • 1/4 c. (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
  • 1/2 c. packed dark or light brown sugar (I used light)
  • 1/2 c. heavy cream
  • 1/2 tsp flaky sea salt (or 1/4 tsp regular salt), plus more to taste
  • 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, plus more to taste
  1. Melt butter in a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat.
  2. Add the sugar, cream and salt and whisk until well blended.
  3. Bring to a very gentle boil and cook for about five minutes, whisking occasionally.
  4. Remove from heat and add one teaspoon of the vanilla extract, stirring to combine.
  5. Dip a spoon in the sauce and carefully taste the sauce (without burning your tongue!) to see if you want to add additional pinches or salt or splashes of vanilla. Tweak it to your taste, whisking well after each addition.
  6. Serve cold or warm over vanilla ice cream, roasted pears or pound cake. The sauce will thicken as it cools. It can be refrigerated in an airtight container and reheated in a microwave or small saucepan.
Or, to do ahead: This sauce will keep at least two weeks in an airtight container in the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...