Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Steak and Mushroom Pie

Hi. It's been awhile. I don't mean to ignore you, really, it's just that things are quite busy around here. It's December, which isn't really a surprise because Thanksgiving just happened. But Christmas is coming up - and I am totally unprepared for that. Oh well, I still have 16 days........

But enough about the future, it's time to reminisce about my trip. I posted about pub food when I was in London. Steak pies are just so good! The crispy pastry crust, the delicious warm steak and gravy filling...mmm I want another one as I write this. I grew up eating chicken pot pies, but never having steak pie. Why don't we do that here in America? Or am I in some weird steak-pie-free bubble in California?


In any case, ever since I got back, I kept thinking about them. All kinds of meat pies. Steak, lamb, chicken - there are so many options! So when I was looking for a quick, easy dinner, I knew immediately that I had to make one. And I'm not kidding: this was not only really easy, but quite good. Now, this isn't an elaborate pie. It could probably use some fresh mushrooms and some peas or carrots, and I think that next time I make it I might take some effort to make my own crust, but when you're looking for a quick and delicious steak pie fix, look no further.

Steak Pie
  • 1 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 1 pound cubed beef stew meat
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1 (1 oz) package dry mushroom gravy mix
  • 1 c. water
  • 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 to 1 tsp salt and pepper (to taste)
  • 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
  1. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
  2. Add beef stew meat, and cook until browned on the outside.
  3. Add the onion; cook and stir until tender, about 5 minutes.
  4. Stir in the mushroom gravy mix and 1 cup of water.
  5. Season with Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper.
  6. Turn heat to low, and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes.
  7. Preheat the oven to 400 deg F.
  8. Transfer the beef mixture to a pie plate.
  9. Roll out the puff pastry to cover the top of the plate.
  10. Press edges onto the rim of the dish to seal.
  11. Bake for 20 minutes in the preheated oven, until the pastry is puffed and golden brown.
I recommend serving this with some green bean casserole...mmmm!

Thanks for bearing with me while I get back in the groove. I have many more delicious things to share with you, so get ready, and be excited :)
-Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...